Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Carondelet German Street Names


Even though Carondelet was founded with a primarily French-Creole population,
the waves of German immigrants left their mark on the city.
Here are some of the German street names that still exists today:

Eichelberger Street (E-W):
Originally named in an early platting of the Carondelet Commons in honor of Doctor George F. Eichelberger, a member of Carondelet's first city council. From Morganford Road to the River des Peres, it was Clark Road until 1881. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

Espenschied Street (E-W):
Named for the Espenschied family, early German settlers in Carondelet who were famous as manufacturers of high quality covered wagons used to carry settlers to California. (Carondelet)

Germania Street (E-W):
Originally platted in the 1904 Helena Subdivision at 7300 Gravois, extending one block to Helvetia Street. Its location now is as an eastward extension along the north side of the River Des Peres Drainage Works from Gravois Avenue to Alabama Street. The name is a classical personality reference to the German nation. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

Koeln Street (E W):
Called V Street in early Carondelet and christened Vine Street in 1854 by city ordinance. It was renamed in 1882 to honor Christian Koeln, a Carondelet merchant who operated a general store at Main and Taylor streets after 1850. West of Virginia Avenue, it was originally Kirk Street. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

Nagel Avenue (E-W):
At first this was S Street, but it was renamed St. Louis Street in 1854. In 1881, it became Nagel Street to recognize Herman Nagel, a Carondelet hat merchant. (Carondelet) (Southwest)

Rauss Street (E-W):
Named O Street in old Carondelet and Olive Street in 1854. In 1881, its appellation was changed to honor John Krauss, a business man, tavern owner and director of the Home Mutual Insurance Company. (Carondelet)

Schirmer Street (E-W):
Named for Charles Schirmer, who was elected as a councilman from the Third Ward in the first Carondelet city election on April 9, 1851. This name was applied to that section of street between the wharf and Ivory Avenue. From Ivory west to Grand Avenue, this street bore the name of Menkens Street until 1881, when it was changed to Schirmer. (*Carondelet) (Morganford)

Steins Street (E-W):
Called Steins Street between the wharf and Michigan Avenue to honor Jacob Steins, an early German settler of Carondelet. He arrived in 1846 and in the ensuing years was influential in causing many Germans to settle in a section that came to be known as Stein's Town. From Michigan to Grand Avenue, Steins Street was known as Heavens Street until 1881. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment